Monday 31 December 2012

The Land Down Under - New South Wales


I am one for slow and long drives along the countryside. I want it unhurried, and I want to enjoy the experience and see the picturesque rural scenery.

So, when the choice came up to either take the train or plane to Melbourne from Sydney, without hesitation, I chose the former.

Although it is of less convenience than taking the plane, I like to savor the trip. Planning for it was easier. I made sure our hotel in Sydney will be just a stone's throw away from the Sydney's Central Station, so it will be easier to move around to catch our early morning train ride to Melbourne.

We took the Countrylink  train to Southern Cross (Melbourne). The good thing about buying your ticket ahead is that, you may be able to chance upon a AUD1.00 fare for your child. I did! Yey!

First Class

Wide legroom, yes.

Brekkie :)
Don't get me wrong. If you are one who does not want to waste time, or in a hurry,  or easily get bored, travelling to Melbourne by train will not be for you. We took the early morning trip so we arrive Melbourne  11 hours after (yes, 11 hours!). Did we get bored? Actually no. We enjoyed the view of New South Wales' countryside. We enjoyed jumping on to the platform of each stations to just stretch our legs or do a very quick look-see, in between catching a shut-eye.

We passed by towns with cool and unusual names:

* Strathfield*Campbelltown* Moss Vale* Goulbourn* Gunning* Yass Junction*Harden*
* Cootamundra*Junee*Wagga Wagga*The Rock*Henty*Culcairn*Albury*Wangaratta*
* Benalla*Seymour*Broadmeadows*Southern Cross (Melbourne)

















I like the New South Wales countryside. Totally different from where we come from, but similar sleepy, peaceful, relaxing feel to it. How I wish I had the luxury of time to jump off each station and explore the towns for a day or 2. Lovely (don't forget the Aussie accent), wouldn't it?


















Check out my other posts on Australia:

 Day 1 in Melbourne - Of wombats, koalas and penguins

Day 2 in Melbourne - going for Gold

The Majestic 12 Apostles of Victoria, Australia

Four days in Sydney









































































No comments:

Post a Comment